Acquaintance with Koshti Pahlevani
Koshti Pahlevani “Heroic Wrestling” is one of the disciplines of Zurkhaneh Sports. In the ancient, Heros and athletes practiced Koshti Pahlevani and trained with their primary students “Nocheh” in the Gowd of Zurkhaneh after practicing Zurkhaneh Sports.
Heros and “Nokhasteh” participated in Koshti Pahlevani competitions in holidays or special ceremonies with special conditions. Sometimes Hero of a Zurkhaneh or a city invited Hero of another Zurkhaneh or City to wrestle with each other, this kind of wrestling was in a special event with a huge number of athletes and experienced sportsmen and elders.
After developing common wrestlings worldwide (Freestyle wrestling and Gerco-Roman wrestling), Heros of Zurkhanehs replaced Zurkhaneh Gowds with wrestling mats and modify their styles with International ones. Many of Iranian famous wrestlers whom achieved Olympic, World and Asia Medals and Titles, have grown up from Zurkhaneh; Gholamreza Takhti, Abullah Mojtabavi, Nabi Soruri, Abbas Zandi, Mansour Mahdizadeh, Alireza Soleymani, Naser Giveh chi, Ali Ghaffari, Mansour Raeesi, Mohammad ali Sanaat karan, Hossein Soltani nejad, Mahdi Yaghoubi, Abbas Jadidi, Rasoul Khadem, Amir reza Khadem, Mohammad Khadem and .. .
The athlete who wants to Practice Koshti Pahlevani needs to the following qualifications:
Physical Ability, Intelligence, quick reaction and endurance that Zurkhaneh Sports will empower him in all of the above qualifications and Skills.
The Freestyle wrestling and Gerco-Roman wrestling Style Wrestlers can fight against their opponents very easily in the case of practicing Koshti Pahlevani.
Rules and Regulations of
International Competitions of Koshti Pahlevani
Size of Mat:
Koshti pahlevani is performed on a mat 12x12 in size, with regard to protection area.
Two 5 minutes wrestling time, with one minute rest.
60-70 kg, 70 kg – 80 kg, 80-90 kg, +90 kg.
Note 1: For Pahlevani “Heroic” Title and Armlet, wrestlers’ weight categories will be limited to only +90 kg.
Note 2: IZSF Technical Committee will determine the weight & age category of International competitions considering the hosting conditions but IZSF Members can set up their inner competitions in determined weight & age categories.
Note 3: Age categories is including: teenagers, youth, Adults
Weigh in is executed for one hour at 18:00-19:00, the day before the competition, exact weight of “Koshti geer” (wrestler) will be registered in front of his name in the competition table.
If a wrestler arrived late for weigh in, Head of Technical Committee of that event can accept to execute weigh-in for him and add it at the end of the table, if his supervisor present an acceptable reason for that delay.
Technical Committee will decide in necessary conditions.
1. Koshti geers (wrestlers) must be wearing proper clothes for weigh-in.
2. The apparent looking of the Wrestlers would be befitting with their Pahlevani title, wearing any ornaments such as rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc is forbidden.
3. In Weigh-in, the exact weight of the wrestlers will be inserted in front of their names.
It is mandatory for wrestlers to present a Physical Healthy Certificate confirmed by their National Zurkhaneh Sports Federations or a reliable doctor of their country’s NOC. It would not be passed more than 5 days from the date of Certificate issuance.
The Wrestlers must undergo IZSF Medical Examination one hour before the Competition.
Koshti Pahlevani Dress and its Features:
1. “Nate’” is pants of Koshti Pahlevani that extends from Koshti geer's waist to below of his knees. “Nate'” is sewn of a very sturdy cloth to prevent it from being torn during fighting.
2. Sarkaseh or Pishkaseh of Nate' must be so big that let the opponent's fingers grab it.
3. Nate' would not decorated with metal objects such as studs and buckles.
4. Sar kaseh and the waist part of Nate' must be embroidered in a way that embroidery wont be torn easily in fighting.
5. A blue or red cloth belt must be worn twice around Koshti geers' waist in a way that it doesn't loosen easily.
6. Wrestling costume is in two colours: red or blue and Draw will specify it.
7. Koshti geers would put on “Wrestling” Shoe.
Note: Wrestlers should carry 2 Nate, 2 wrestling costume in blue & red color, and a pair of wrestling shoe.
Parts of Koshti Pahlevani Pants and Costume :
“Pish Qabz”: The front part of Nate' waist
“Pass Qabz”: The back part of Nate' waist
“Pish kaseh” or” Sar kaseh “: The front part of knee of Nate'
“Pass kaseh”: The back part of knee of Nate'
1. The wrestlers with the same weight category will come into one group and the loser Koshti geer in the second Round, will go to Loser Group.
2. The Koshti geer who loses for two times & equals zero – zero for two times, will be eliminated from the competitions table.
3. The first and the second Koshti geers of winners group will fight for the first and the second place and the third to tenth Koshti geers will be selected from the losers group.
1- The wrestler can carry out Leg Techniques and Frustrates e.g. Kicks and Leg Trip.
2- The wrestler can take Pish Qabz, Pas Qabz, Pas Kaseh and Pish Kaseh of the opponent’s in any condition.
3- The wrestler can do the techniques by leg.
4- The wrestler can do the techniques by hand just of the opponent’s knee.
Points of Koshti Pahlevani Techniques:
1- Throw the opponent on the Ground position by Pish Kaseh, Pas Kaseh, Pish Qabz & Pas Qabz will have 2 points & taking the opponent’s leg, as mentioned in Regulations (above knee) will have 1 point.
2- If the wrestler could not carry out the ground work within 10 second, the Referee will restart the Koshti.
3- In the main area of the mat, two points will go to all techniques that led the opponent side “Pahlu” thrown to the Ground position. And if this technique will be done in the main area of the mat and led to outside area of the mat, it would take 1 point. The referee will announce one or two points by his hand sign and announcing “Pahlou” word.
4- One point will go to the wrestler who started the work in the Mat and make the opponent in Ground position outside of the warning area. The referee will restart the Koshti by his whistle in the center of Mat.
5- The defensive wrestler will loose 2 points in the case of using his hand in reaction to the opponent’s leg Technique. Moreover 2 points will go to his opponent. The referee will restart the Koshti by his whistle in the center of Mat.
6- Three points will go to the wrestler who started the technique in the mat center & warning area which led to knocking down the opponents in the out area. Koshti will be restarted in the center of Mat.
7- Two points will go to the wrestler who started the technique in the mat center & warning area in the ground position which led to knocking down the opponents in the out of the main area. Koshti will be restarted in the center of Mat.
8- If any of above conditions happen to the wrestler who is doing the techniques, points will go to the opponents.
Pin fall and its conditions:
1- Both Shoulder or behind positioning on mat.
2- One Shoulder positioning on Mat and closing another shoulder on Mat.
3- Both elbows positioning on Mat or elbow to elbow.
4- One Shoulder positioning on Mat or making an open angel (+90 Degree)
In the case of any above conditions, the mat referee will finish the Koshti by announcing “Pirouz” and 6 points will go to the wrestler who did it.
Note: if one of the above conditions happened for the wrestler who started the technique, he will loose the Koshti through Pinfall to his opponent.
Winning in Equal Conditions:
1- If two wrestlers obtained equal points at the end of fighting time, that one will be winner who obtained the less warning
2- If two wrestlers obtained equal points & warnings at the end of fighting time, that one will be winner who obtained the highest Technique points.
3- If two wrestlers obtained equal points at the end of fighting time mentioned in item 1 & 2, that one will be winner who obtained the last technique point.
4- In the case of obtaining zero score at the end of legal time, in Preliminary and Semifinal rounds, both wrestlers will go to loser group.
5- In the case of equal points for the second time in above mentioned condition, the wrestler will be omitted from the match table, and if he will be included in the item 1, he would remain in match table.
6- In the case of equal points (zero-zero) in Final and Semifinal rounds, after 1 minute rest, they continue fighting for 3 minutes. The wrestler who obtained the 1st point will be the winner.
7- In case of not obtaining any scores in legal & extra time, Referee will announce the Equal line, in the strength time.
Strength time, Equal line & the rules:
Strength Time: 1 minute extra time, which will be given to the wrestlers after the legal & 3 minutes extra time.
Equal Line: Two parallel lines which will be drawn in the center of the mat, by 40 Cm distance from each other.
- If the wrestlers will be in the condition of item 7 of equal conditions, both of the wrestlers will take the opponents’ leg pish Qabz by right hand & the pish Kaseh by the left hand, and they will continue the wrestling by rules to taking the result.
- Making the Pish Kaseh & Pas Kaseh free in the equal lines will be taken as point and the end of the competition.
- Not caring to the rules of equal lines which led to the warning from referee will be led to losing the point & the wrestling competition.
- If the wrestler will leave the Pas Qabz or Pish Kaseh by his own hand or hands, and make a technique successfully, he will win, but if he can not make the technique successfully, the opponent will win & end of the competition.
- If the wrestlers can not take any points in the strength time, the wrestler who is lighter will be the winner (according to the referee sheets which is completed in weighting day).
- In the case of being in same weight, the points of previous wrestling competitions of them will show the winner.
- Not presenting in the final & ranking competition will be taken as a lost & also omitting from the competition table.
Weigh-in and conditions of lighter wrestler
The exact weight of the wrestlers will be inserted in front of their names in weigh-in table and in a special place of Referee Paper. This weight is a proof for Technical Committee to determine the winner in the special conditions. If the wrestlers with the same weight reached an equal point, they will pass weigh-in immediately after fighting and the lighter will be the winner.
Faults and Penalties
1. Pulling fingers or twisting joints, in the opposite direction.
2. Performing technique, throwing the opponent, hitting the opponent on the mat or throwing the opponent out of the mat after the referee blows into his whistle.
3. Thrusting elbow or head into the opponents' chest or abdomen (it's different from taking hold and standing wrestling forcing the opponent out of the mat in standing position).
4. Any rough “Izaee” works recognized by referees.
* Doing any above faults led to the followings:
- For the First time: Awareness – 1 point go to the opponent
- For the Second time: Alert – 2 Points go to the opponent
- For the Third time: Pirouz – loose the fighting and opponent will be winner with Pinfall
Dismissal of “Koshti geer”:
According to the opinion of referees and Supervisor of Competition, the wrestler "Koshti geer" committing works against chivalrous principles is declared to be loser, and will be deprived of attending competitions, according to the severity of the action committed, by IZSF Technical Committee confirmation, between 6 months to one year.
Actions Resulting in the Dismissal of "Koshti geer”:
1. Insulting the referee and other officials, and any indecent action which is not match with heroism manners & against chivalrous principles.
2. Head – butt, or pushing the finger in eye, mouth or nose of the opponents.
4. Seizing, pressing or hitting the sensitive limbs of the opponent which will led to the opponents heavy injury which will stop him of continuing the competition.
Passivity and Pretence:
1- Time wasting
2- Moving backward and Escape from Technique
3- Skip of the Mat
4- Being negligent of referee's warnings
5- Resting to be refreshed by pretending to be injured, and Doctor will not confirm it, For the First time: Awareness and one point go to the opponent, for the Second time: Alert and two Points go to the opponent and for the Third time; Medical Committee, Referees and Supervisor of the competition decided for: Pirouz – that led to loose the fighting and opponent will be winner with Pinfall.
6- The maximum time for cloths changing, if its toured, delay in coming on mat, passivity & pretence, … , would be 2 minutes, and wasting the time more than 2 minutes in any condition , by senior referee confirmation will be taken as a lost for that wrestler.
7- In the case of medical care by Doctor, the time will not be taken.
Warning conditions (Awareness) and (Alert)
1- Existing of the Mat in any condition (skip or opponent’s pressure) for the first time will give a reminder to the wrestler, not awareness or any negative points.
2- Existing of the Mat in any condition (skip or opponent’s pressure) after the reminder to, will give “Awareness” to the wrestler and 1 point to the opponent, Referee will continue the fighting in the center of mat by blowing his whistle while the opponent can take “Pishkaseh” of Wrestler Nate’.
3- Existing of the Mat in any condition (skip or opponent’s pressure) after the awareness, will give will give “Alert” to the wrestler and 2 points to the opponent, Referee will continue the fighting in the center of mat by blowing his whistle while the opponent can take “Pish kaseh” and “Pish Qabz” of Wrestler Nate’.
4- Existing of the Mat in any condition (skip or opponent’s pressure) after the first Alert, will give will give the 2nd “Alert” to the wrestler and 2 points to the opponent, Referee will continue the fighting in the center of mat by blowing his whistle.
5- In the case of the repentance of the mentioned condition & taking the 3rd Alert, the referee will give “Pirouz” to the Opponent and Koshti “fighting” will be cut.
Absent Koshti geer “Wrestler” on the Mat
The wrestlers would come on the mat within 1 minute and 30 seconds after the first calling by Loudspeakers otherwise after 1.5 minute and 3 times calling, the opponent will be announced as winner and absent Koshti geer will be loser.
Two beside Judges, one Mat Referee and a senior Referee will judge the "Koshti Pahlevani" and a referee in charge of keeping the time.
Senior Referee is responsible for:
1- Controlling and supervising the beside Judges and Mat Referees works
2- Controlling the Koshti Geer’s ID Card
3- Controlling the Referee Papers before the Competition
4- Coordinating with Time-Keeper for Competition start
5- Controlling the color of Koshti geers’ “wrestlers” Costume and belt with the Referee Paper.
6- Studying & presenting the claims to the head of technical committee, in order to taking the last decision.
7- Announcing the wrestling result & presenting that to the mat referee.
Mat Referee is responsible for:
1- Controlling costume, Nate' and wrestling Shoe for not decorating with metal ornaments, buckles and … .
2- Examining the largeness of "Pish kaseh" of "Nate' " (They must be large enough to let the opponent grab them).
3- Examining color and solidity of Koshti geers' belt.
4- Examining nail and body of the Koshti geer, their bodies shouldn't be greasy and without scars.
5- Indicating points to beside judges, by hand signs.
6- Giving in time penalty to the passive Koshti geer or those who do Faults or works against rules and disciplines.
7- Cutting the Koshti “fighting” in the case of Predicament positions.
8- Giving in time “Awareness” and “Alert” to the Koshti geers in coordinate with beside Judges.
9- Announcing Pinfall and “Pirouz” word and cutting the Koshti with blowing his whistle.
10- Announcing the end of Koshti after time-keeper announcement and finishing legal time.
Beside Judge is Responsible for:
1- Caring to all seconds & corners of the competition
2- Warm collaboration with senior & mat referee.
3- Confirming the points and inserting on electronic Score Board or hand written table.
4- Inserting koshti geer’s points in Referee Papers or Electronic Score board.
5- In the case of judgment through Referee Papers, filling them at the end of competition and presenting them to the senior referee.
Time-keeper is Responsible for:
1- In each competition one judge is responsible for keeping time. Time of competition starts when the Mat Referee blows into his whistle and ends when the time keeper sounds the bell and informs the referee that legal time is over.
2- Time-keeper is also responsible for computing wasted time.
3- Maximum wasted time is totally 2 minutes to change the torn clothes, late attendance on Mat, feigning opponent. If a Koshti geer wasted more than 2 minutes, Senior Referee and Time-keeper announce him as loser.
In the case of continuous curing by Medical committee, time will not be counted.